Surbiyaan (Somalian Lamb Curry)
|Large Spanish onions
|Plum tomatoes (loose)
|Whole grain rice
|Red split lentils
1. Chop the onion, garlic and tomato.
2. Heat half the oil in the pan, add the lamb and cook on a low heat until browned.
3. Add three quarters of the onions and all the tomatoes and stir.
4. Add the coriander, cumin, lentils, garlic, and two tablespoons of water to the meat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the cinnamon stick and the lemon juice. Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile in a separate pan, cook the rice according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Then drain.
7. Heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the remaining onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
8. When the meat is cooked remove from the heat.
9. In a large serving dish place a layer of rice, followed by a layer of meat and repeat, using up all the meat and rice,
finishing with a layer of meat.
10. Arrange the onion on top of the layer of meat and rice and serve.